The Virginia Horse Trials wouldn’t be possible if not for our fabulous volunteers! Thank you so much for making the Horse Trials possible! Below are some volunteer positions and their descriptions. Volunteering is lots of fun! We love our volunteers!
Volunteer Job Descriptions
- VETERINARY ASSISTANT FOR IN-BARN INSPECTIONSHelp veterinarians keep track of horses that have been inspected, write all information on veterinary forms and help organize files.
- GROUND JURY ASSISTANTHelp keep records organized and assist the ground jury during jogs.
- HORSE INSPECTION STEWARDKeep the jog moving smoothly by keeping the horses in order.
- DRESSAGE SCRIBEThis is a very educational position. Dressage scribes sit with a Dressage Judge and write all comments and scores onto a Test sheet as the Judge judges the ride.
- DRESSAGE WARM UP STEWARD & BIT CHECKIn charge of the warm up area for the designated dressage ring and responsible for checking bits on all the horses entering or leaving the dressage arena to make sure the competitors are using legal bits and equipment. All volunteers are briefed and given literature on these topics.
- DRESSAGE TEST RUNNERSIdeal for younger children or people who love to watch dressage. In charge of collecting dressage tests from the judges and taking them to scoring department.
- DRESSAGE ARENA CENTER LINE ROLLERSIn charge of “rolling” center line of dressage arena every 10 – 12 rides (for International levels only).
- DRESSAGE ARENA GATE KEEPERIdeal for a person who loves to watch dressage. In charge of opening and closing arena gate before and after each ride. For Championship and International Levels only.
- CROSS-COUNTRY JUMP JUDGE (MAY ALSO INCLUDE GATE PEOPLE AND STEEPLECHASE JUDGES FOR CCI*)We need MANY people for this job! In charge of “judging” an individual cross-country jump. Must be willing to sit outside (or in vehicle) and watch some of the most amazing riding you will ever see up close! Responsible for noting if riders and horses clear fences and reporting any faults. Briefing and all necessary equipment will be provided.
- CROSS-COUNTRY TIMERSIn charge of starting horses and riders on cross-country and keeping track of their start and/or finish times. We have synchronized stop watches.
- CROSS-COUNTRY WARM UP STEWARDIn charge of XC warm up area, making sure all horses get to the start on time and well as keeping the area safe.
- SHOW JUMPING WARM UP STEWARDSIn charge of Show Jumping warm up area and keeping horses and riders on time.
- SHOW JUMPING TIMERSIn charge of timing every Show Jumping round and communicating times back to the judge.
- SHOW JUMPING SCRIBESits with the judge and notes all comments and scores dictated by the judge.
- SHOW JUMPING JUMP CREWThis is a very active and fun position for energetic children and strong teenagers! Responsible for picking up any poles that fall as a result of the horse hitting them and putting them back up as quickly as possible and in a timely fashion. Lots of running and lots of FUN!
- SHOW JUMPING IN-GATE & OUT-GATEIn charge of opening and closing the gates before and after every ride. Great opportunity to watch some fun jumping!
To sign up for a volunteer position, please send your request to our Volunteer Coordinator, Whitney Abraham at email@example.com or phone 540.230.9568.